Welcome

Well, here we are. I don't know where 'here' is exactly, but I hope you will join me on the journey to find out... Let me start at the beginning. I'm 26 (actually now 28... so the world turns...), female, and British. That's the first few things you will notice about me if we were to ever meet. But there's a lot going on in this here noggin' of mine (that means head in olde english speak by the way). I am writing this blog for myself really, but you are very welcome to pop in to visit every now and then. I can't promise anything mind-blowing or life changing for you, but it may well make you think, laugh or even explore your own mind. I love to write. I also love to travel, meet people, have adventures and generally get the most out of what life has to offer.

Friday 10 September 2010

What goes around comes aroud

My morning was horrible. I awoke at 6.30 in the dark and when I left my front door to walk the ten steps to the car, discovered it was drizzling. Driving to the station in my car, the roads were wet and I had a near miss when the bus in front of me stopped and I had to slam on my brakes, causing me to slide all over the road and only narrowly avoid a collision. I was shaken, but made it to the station and settled in for my usual hour and a half journey – but as the train ground to a standstill halfway to London I knew my stresses weren’t over. It turned out that someone had pulled the emergency cord after having a panic attack. Sympathetic as I tried to be, I along with the 500 other commuters on the train was late for work. So not a great to start to the day I think you’ll agree. But my day brightened considerably when I checked my e-mail and was greeted with brilliant news from my Tanzanian family; Isaya, the little Maasai boy I all but adopted last year is going to start school in January! He is such a bright child, but his family couldn’t afford to send him. I had written to the family months ago offering to help with fees. It works out at £95 for a whole year at school – including uniform and board. That’s the cost of a single meal in a nice restaurant in London, a good pair of shoes or a night at a hotel! How disparate opportunities are between Africa and the UK. So although it is by no means saving the World, I am very pleased to be able to provide this basic human right of education to someone who has made a huge difference in my life. And of course I am buying myself some karma. It’s what keeps the earth moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment