Welcome

Well, here we are. I don't know where 'here' is exactly, but I hope you will join me on the journey to find out... Let me start at the beginning. I'm 26 (actually now 28... so the world turns...), female, and British. That's the first few things you will notice about me if we were to ever meet. But there's a lot going on in this here noggin' of mine (that means head in olde english speak by the way). I am writing this blog for myself really, but you are very welcome to pop in to visit every now and then. I can't promise anything mind-blowing or life changing for you, but it may well make you think, laugh or even explore your own mind. I love to write. I also love to travel, meet people, have adventures and generally get the most out of what life has to offer.

Thursday 2 September 2010

Friends in high(land) places

One of the huge benefits of travel is making new friends who live in exotic places. Thanks to my round the world trip I now have friends in Tanzania, Australia, New Zealand, Los Angeles, Boston, Vermont, Italy and Canada who I can call upon to take me in at a moment’s notice. You can usually tell if someone is only being polite by offering you a place to stay, but I am a great believer in taking people up on offers. If they don’t mean it they shouldn’t say it! And of course they can always say no. Or pretend to be out when I arrive… In New Zealand I was particularly lucky (or cheeky depending on how you look at it) to stay with 5 sets of people whom I had met only briefly or not at all! Last weekend I took my lovely Scottish friend Ross up on his offer and went to stay with him in Edinburgh. We had a wonderful few days reminiscing about our time in Tanzania and exploring the city. I saw Edinburgh through the eyes of a local; meeting Ross’s friends, colleagues and housemate, eating at some good local places and seeing great comedy/music gigs. I’m sure I would have enjoyed Edinburgh anyway, but having a friend there made it especially enjoyable.

This weekend I am off to Wales – a mini-tour taking in Swansea and Cardiff (and even a little stop off in Bristol) to see various friends met in Africa. I feel very lucky to have so many great friends – and even luckier that they don’t mind me availing myself of their hospitality and tour-guiding skills…

No comments:

Post a Comment