Welcome

Well, here we are. I don't know where 'here' is exactly, but I hope you will join me on the journey to find out... Let me start at the beginning. I'm 26 (actually now 28... so the world turns...), female, and British. That's the first few things you will notice about me if we were to ever meet. But there's a lot going on in this here noggin' of mine (that means head in olde english speak by the way). I am writing this blog for myself really, but you are very welcome to pop in to visit every now and then. I can't promise anything mind-blowing or life changing for you, but it may well make you think, laugh or even explore your own mind. I love to write. I also love to travel, meet people, have adventures and generally get the most out of what life has to offer.

Friday 10 December 2010

‘Tis the season to be jolly

Or, if the high street is to be believed, ‘tis the season to max out your credit card buying gifts for all and sundry; socks that Grandad will never wear, Baileys for a tee-total Mum and countless gifts that will be eagerly ripped open before being forgotten and left to gather dust in the corner until 25th December comes around once more. However, in the run up to the festive season this year the world and I seem to be in tune.

Newspapers are full of soft news stories explaining how to make your own mulled wine/Christmas stockings/mince pies etc. More and more people are cottoning onto the idea of Secret Santa, wherein each person gives and receives only one present. Hopefully the nation will learn that there's no need for all the stress we put on ourselves, and actually enjoy December.

I have always adhered to the idea of the ‘austerity Christmas.’ Partly down to my upbringing where we were taught that material things are, well… immaterial and partly due my poor student status and, some might say, general Scrooge-ness. So this year I am pleased that the whole country is with me. Hackneyed it may be, Christmas isn’t about how much we spend or how grand the gestures, it’s the fact that we all get time off work to spend with our loved ones, fight over what to watch on TV, hear tales of the baby Jesus (who is definitely real by the way) and finally realise there’s a reason we don’t get together more than once a year…

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment