Welcome

Well, here we are. I don't know where 'here' is exactly, but I hope you will join me on the journey to find out... Let me start at the beginning. I'm 26 (actually now 28... so the world turns...), female, and British. That's the first few things you will notice about me if we were to ever meet. But there's a lot going on in this here noggin' of mine (that means head in olde english speak by the way). I am writing this blog for myself really, but you are very welcome to pop in to visit every now and then. I can't promise anything mind-blowing or life changing for you, but it may well make you think, laugh or even explore your own mind. I love to write. I also love to travel, meet people, have adventures and generally get the most out of what life has to offer.

Wednesday 22 December 2010

Home is where the heart is

Since the day I left Africa I have dreamt of returning. I fell in love, but this was more than a holiday romance – for 3 months I had eaten, drunk, laughed and cried with the people of Longido. I’d had adventures, learnt a lot about the Maasai culture and also about myself. Not a day goes by that I don’t miss my friends, honorary family and Issiah, the little cattle herder I learnt to love as if he were my own son.

Until now I had been too sensible for my own good, telling myself that I couldn’t justify the expense or time off. But still I kept checking the flight prices and dreaming. And then a couple of weeks ago, I threw all caution to the wind and booked a flight to Nairobi. So this time next week I will (if the snow clears for long enough for Gatwick to open its runway) be en route to where I left my heart over a year ago.

If you have been lucky enough to visit somewhere that evokes such an emotional pull, you will understand what I’m trying to say. Although my home is, and always will be Essex – where I was born and grew up – I also did a lot of growing up in Tanzania and know it will always be very special to me.

2 comments:

  1. What a moving testimony. Indeed, Longido is a memorable place. I have not spent as much time there as you have, but I also have fond memories of it. I hope you realize your dream of visiting it again, and perhaps again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mbele, when were you in Longido? It is such a special place, the people are so wonderful and I consider myself lucky to call it my second home. I just wish I could convince my friends and family to come out with me next time!

    ReplyDelete